Computer Delivered IELTS TEST: Pros and Cons of Computer Delivered IELTS Exam
Computer Delivered IELTS Exam Benefits and Negatives
There are two types of IELTS exams based on the method of giving the test. These methods are the paper-based test (PBT) and the computer-based test. In this article, we will discuss the benefits and drawbacks of the computer-based test (CBT) of IELTS. Moreover, it is also recognized as a computer-delivered IELTS test or CD IELTS.
#1 Is Computer Delivered Test different from the Paper-based Test of IELTS?
No, the content in both of the tests is the same but the only difference among them is the method of answering the question. In CBT you will have to input the answers into the computer and not on the paper.
#2 Is the Scoring scheme the same in both Computer and Paper Based IELTS Test?
Absolutely, the scoring scheme is 100% the same. The only difference is the input method of the answers.
#3 What differences are there between Paper and Computer-Based Test of IELTS?
Both types of tests are more or less the same. There is only just one modification in both of the tests. In the PBT you are given 10 minutes to transfer the answers to the answer sheet after the completion of the recordings. However, in the CBT you have to input the answers directly while listening to the recording and you will have 2 minutes in the end to recheck the answers.
The other three sections of the IELTS test are the same with the same timings. Moreover, the content is also the same.
#4 Why should Someone give Computer Delivered IELTS Test?
The purpose of offering the CD IELTS is that the people who are habitual of typing on the computers can take advantage of this and can give the computer-based test. If you have a good typing speed then you must go for the computer-based test. However, if you are not good at typing or reading on the computers then you must give the paper-based test.
What are the Pros and Cons of Computer Delivered IELTS Test?
Pros of Computer Delivered IELTS Test.
- If you have good typing speed then it is comfortable for you to write the answers.
- Big screens are provided so that they can help you with reading.
- The test center is not much crowded.
- Results come very quickly in five days only.
- A large number of slots are available.
Cons of Computer Delivered IELTS Test.
- You must have a very fast typing speed. If you don’t have such speed then refrain from giving the CD IELTS and go for the test which is paper-based.
- The screen gets locked when the time finishes, so you can not make the changes at the last moment.
- The timer on the screen does not give information about the seconds. So, this can be frustrating during the last minute.
- Always try to practice the sample test. This is for your own betterment as you will be in flow when you give the real test.
- However, if you are not good at typing then PLEASE refrain from giving CD IELTS.
What are the Pros and Cons of Listening Section of CD IELTS TEST?
Cons Of Computer Delivered Listening IELTS Test.
- In the computer-based test, you have to type and listen to concurrently. This is a drawback if your listening and writing skills are not very good.
- There are many different types of questions that you have to answer such as selecting the boxes, dragging the words or writing the correct answer. So, this means that you have to be familiar with different kinds of questions.
- You don’t get the extra time to transfer the answers and have 2 minutes to recheck your responses.
- Knowing the user interface is very important. If you don’t know it then you will waste time.
Pro Of Computer Delivered Listening IELTS Test.
- Tab helps to navigate between the parts of tests.
Try to know the look and feel of the page in the CBT exam this will help you to solve the test very easily.
What are the Pros and Cons of Reading section of CD IELTS Test?
Pros of the reading section of the CD IELTS Test.
- The good thing about the CBT test is that you have the passage and the questions side by side because of which you can refer to the passage and questions very easily.
- You can always increase the size of the font.
- In the CD IELTS, you can easily highlight text by just right-clicking it. However, in the paper-based test, you can do such a thing.
- One other great advantage is that you can always do the copy and pasting of the answers. It saves you from writing the wrong spellings.
Cons of the reading section of the CD IELTS Test.
- A search function cannot be used to find the words.
General Advice for reading section of CD IELTS Test,
- Practice reading the passages online so that you have a habit of scrolling and navigating through the passages.
What are the Pros and Cons of Writing section Computer Delivered IELTS Test?
Pros of writing section CD IELTS Test.
- There is word count on the computer so you don’t have to count them explicitly.
- The editing is very easy by cutting, copying and pasting the text.
Cons of writing section CD IELTS Test.
- One of the biggest disadvantages of typing is that you mistype the spellings of the words. And it isn’t possible always to find the mistakes when you are doing the proofreading.
- In the writing section, you have to do a lot of typing and this makes the keyboard noise which can be very distracting.
- You must have good typing speed.
Note for the Writing section of the CD IELTS Test.
You will have a paper and pen so that you can plan the essay.
Computer Delivered IELTS Speaking Test
The speaking test is the same for both types of tests which is a conversation between the candidate and the examiner.